Every Moms Worst Nightmare

The abundance of prayers, love, comments, and overall concern for my sweet boy are so positively overwhelming to my heart. πŸ€—πŸ’—I am so thankful to everyone who has reached out and offered help in different ways. Thank you, thank you. I wish I could thank you all individually.😍

Because I’ve been asked more times then I’d like to keep rewriting, I figured I’d share our scary story in a post.

Since going back to work, the new foods shenanigans has slowed down, because we only try new ones on the weekend when we are home and he is in the care of us. This morning we decided it was time to try eggs, because well, they are in everything and I have been dreading them for weeks. I knew he was going to react, I just wasn’t expecting it to be like it did. I’ll get into that later. 

Let’s see, we tried them around 7:00. I was shocked he liked them and that he didn’t get a rash around his face ((this is what has happened for so many other foods we’ve tried, almost instantly)). And I felt relieved, like phew, he didn’t react. But on our way to change his diaper for nap, he threw up. At the time I didn’t question it too much because he spits up a lot. He went down, and was only asleep for maybe 10 minutes when he woke up and there was blood on the bed. I started to panic, but saw that he had scratched his ear open. As I was cleaning his ear and trying to stop the bleeding, he had diahrea. Well man did it go downhill fast from here. Opened his diaper up to find his entire bottom, pelvis, groin, penis, all of it RED, I’m talking enflamed and hivey and oh so yucky. He was clearly uncomfortable too, because he was scratching everything, and in those few seconds it moved to his stomach and face and I knew immediately I needed to go to the ER. I put shoes on untied, literally scrambled to get him in the carseat, and grabbed his diaper bag. The car ride there felt like an eternity. We live like 10 minutes from the hospital, but it seemed like it took an hour to get there. The whole time I’m holding his hands from scratching and making sure he was still breathing. I kept praying I wouldn’t get pulled over, or that anything would happen to him. Y’all I don’t know how I did it. I have severe anxiety and I can’t believe I didn’t go into some sort of shock myself. We arrived around 8:30.

Anyways, when I got there, I ran in like a scene from a movie basically screaming someone help my baby he’s having an allegic reaction. And when I went to get him out of the carseat, his ear was so puffy I thought it was going to explode or pop off. No exaggeration!! And then I really started to panic. I’ve never seen something like it in my life. I didn’t even know our bodies could get so enflamed and swollen.The photo doesn’t even show it at its worse. πŸ™

As much as it felt like he wasn’t being taken care of fast enough, the staff did an amazing job. They checked his breathing and lungs like every minute until he was given the medicine. They didn’t leave my side until my husband was able to get there and join me. They assured me that he was having a severe reaction, but that he should be okay. By 9:00, they gave him a shot of part of an epi pen, a shot of benedryl, and a steroid. I was expecting it to help him right away, just like that, but my goodness, he did not start coming down from all the redness, hives and swelling for a good two hours. And then from there he wasn’t even half way better until about four hours after.

The blotches show where he was getting better. But my poor boy was literally one big swollen, red balloon. And you didn’t even realize it until he started to come down from the mess. But through it all, he was a trooper.

By 4:00 he was mostly back to himself. He still has the rash on his back, but everywhere else seems to have gone away. We were told he could have the rash for up to a week. He has to be monitored closely for the next 48 hours, take benedryl every 6 hours, for the next 48 hours, or 24 hours after all the symptoms have gone away. And he’s on a steroid for 4 days. I have prayed and thanked the good Lord that it never affected his airway and that he seems to be okay now. 

If I wasn’t terrified about new foods before, I sure am now. But let’s be real, I’ve been scared of foods from day one. He’s reacted to blueberries, peanut butter, and yogurt too, but only ever had a slight rash around his mouth. We were told by the doctor it wasn’t an allergic reaction. I always felt otherwise. Well today was a whole new ball game, one I never want to play again. I know this road for us isn’t over, and that scares me even more, but it’s in God’s hands. He held Clayton in his arms today and protected him the best he could. I can only pray for that in the future. You never realize how scary a food allergy is until you experienced it yourself. My view of food allergies is forever changed. I hope this post sheds some light on the seriousness of food allergies and may we find a reason why it’s happening more and more often.


3 thoughts on “Every Moms Worst Nightmare

  1. Oh dear Mama I am so happy that things turned out alright for you guys! What a precious little boy you have and a scary moment for sure! He is so lucky to have you to care for him. You did an amazing job!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s